Police corruption has long been a major problem in the United States. Some police officers, of course, turn bad to line their own pockets through ripping off drug dealers and, sometimes, even dealing the stolen drugs themselves. Others try to cover up their own acts of brutality, murder and even torture. And then, there is the third and no doubt largest category, officers who knowingly arrest the wrong man (or woman) for offenses, write them up, and never blink an eye when the prosecutors bring a case against them. In fact, sometimes these corrupt officers will even offer false testimony against the innocent parties in a court of law.
No one group has a monopoly on police corruption. It happens in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans and every major U.S. city and is conducted by officers of all races, creeds and colors.
5. Louis Eppolito and Stephen Caracappa:
Louis Eppolito and Stephen Caracappa worked for the NYPD, at least they punched a NYPD time clock, but in reality, they worked for the mafia. Caracappa was a member of the Organized Crime Homicide Unit which meant he investigated the very people he was working for.
In reality, Eppolito and Caracappa took their orders from the Lucchese crime family for whom they served as hitmen as well as moles in the NYPD. In 2006, the two former partners were convicted of racketeering, obstruction of justice, extortion and eight counts of murder and conspiracy. They were sentenced to life in prison. On appeal, they convictions were upheld.
4. Joseph Miedzianowski:
Joseph Miedzianowski was a Chicago police officer who is sometimes considered to be the most corrupt cop of all time. Miedzianowski served as both police officer and drug kingpin and used his knowledge of the streets and gangs to shake down drug dealers.
For most of his 22-year career, Miedzianowski ran the Chicago Gangs Unit, simultaneously running his own drug gang. His corrupt run came to an end in 2001 when he was convicted of 10 counts including drug conspiracy and racketeering .
3. David Mack And Rafael Perez:
David Mack and Rafael Perez worked together for the infamous LAPD Ramparts division. Oddly enough, they also worked for Suge Knight at Death Row Records and were members of the feared Bloods street gang.
Mack had the audacity to receive the LAPD Medal Of Honor for killing a drug dealer who allegedly pulled a gun on him. But he would also later be convicted of robbing a bank and be implicated in the murder of the rapper, Notorious BIG.
Perez shot and framed an unarmed gang member during his tenure. He also stole eight pounds of cocaine from an LAPD evidence locker. This is not what they teach you at the Police Academy.
Jon Burge is in a class of his own. He was a former Chicago Police Department detective who oversaw the torture of hundreds of Black men resulting in false confessions between 1972 and 1991.
Burge would burn suspects with radiators and cigarettes, and “put the juice” to their testicles.
Ironically, Burge was protected by the statute of limitations for his crimes, but was convicted for lying about the torture in January of 2011.
1. Robert Gisevius, Kenneth Bowen, and Anthony Villavaso:
At the top of our list stand Robert Gisevius, Kenneth Bowen, and Anthony Villavaso. They were members of the New Orleans police department during Hurricane Katrina. The three men were charged with first degree murder for killing 17-year-old James Brissette who was unarmed and innocent when they came across him on the Danzinger bridge while the waters were cresting. Brisette was simply looking for shelter when the cops pounced on him and – for all intents and purposes — executed him.
Bowen, Gisevius and Villavaso were found guilty of falsifying reports and bringing false prosecution in their conspiracy to cover-up the shooting. They received sentences of 6 to 65 years.
SITES WE LIKE
- Dea Millerberg Sentenced to Utah State Prison in Sex/Meth/Heroin Death of 16-Year-Old Babysitter
- Chapman, Hinckley, Bardo, and the Murderer’s Handbook — The Catcher in the Rye
- Top Five Most Corrupt U. S. Police Officers of All Time
- Oregon Woman Lights Weed-Killer Husband on Fire to Get His Attention
- Carlos Castaneda’s Sex-and-Suicide Cult, and the Witches Who Disappeared
- Darcia Helle on The Horrible Death of Gabriel Fernandez: Worst Case of Child Abuse in Southern California History?
- Justice seeker on How and Why Rudy Guede Was a Lone Wolf Assailant in the Murder of Meredith Kercher
- Rick on Oregon Woman Lights Weed-Killer Husband on Fire to Get His Attention
- Lori on Oregon Woman Lights Weed-Killer Husband on Fire to Get His Attention
- PatrickHMoore on Oregon Woman Lights Weed-Killer Husband on Fire to Get His Attention