heartfelt early song by Bob Dylan — based on a poem by Lord Buckley
There was a man called Hezekiah Jones once
An’ he never had much except a farm an’ some land.
He ate what he raised. ‘T was in a cupboard
He kept there in the cupboard, what he called “for the rainy season”.
But this one he’d have somethin’ left over
He’d spend it an’ he’d buy books
An’ he’d read his books, kept there in the cupboard.
“Well he’s harmless enough i suppose
But well look at it,
He better put down them goddamn books
Readin’ ain’t no good for an ignorant n_____”.
Reverent Greene of the white men’s church came around that year
Knockin’ on doors, he knocked on Hezekiah’s door
He says, “Hezekiah you believe in the lord?”
Reverent says, “Hezekiah you believe in the church?’
Hezekiah says, “Well church is divided, ain’t they?
They can’t make up their minds, i can’t make up mine either.”
Reverent says, “Hezekiah you believe in that if a man is good, heaven is his last reward?”
Hezekiah says, “I’m good, i’m good, i’m as good as my neighbor.”
“You don’t believe in nothin”, says the white men’s preacher.
“Oh yes i do”, says Hezekiah
Not for the reward of heaven or the fear of hell’s fire.”
“But you don’t understand”, says the white men’s preacher
“There’s a lot of good ways for a man to be wicked”.
And they hung Hezekiah as high as a pigeon
White folks around said,
“Well he had it comin’, the son of a bitch never had no religion!”
- Purchase the Paperback and Receive the Kindle Version FREE
SITES WE LIKE
Peter Prasad's Goodreads Blog
Hard Case Crime
True Crime Report
3: AM Magazine
The Weekly Lizard
The Young Turks
The Glasgow Curse
John Nardizzi, Author
Thomas Davidson, Author
Mike Roche, Author
Darcia Helle, Author
Darcia Helle, Author's Blog
The Trouble with Justice
- Getting Away with Murder: Serial Killers Who Were Never Caught
- Chicago Woman Buried Alive in Nefarious Funeral Parlor Murder Plot?
- Feds Will Not Seek Death Penalty in Angela Johnson 5-Person Methamphetamine Revenge Killing Case
- A Trio of Celebrities Who Would Be Seriously Punished for Their Crimes Today
- Kidnapped Louisiana Mother’s Family Kills Abductor in Daring Vigilante Rescue!
- nzingha on 11-Year-Old Seattle Girl and Her Mother Murdered; Allegedly Abusive Granddad Pulls the Trigger
- Diane Downs | Wrongly Convicted Group Website on The Diane Downs’ Case Was No Small Sacrifice
- marva greenleaf on “Behind and Beyond the Wall”: If I Could Turn Back the Page…
- PatrickHMoore on 17-Year-Old California Teen Sentenced to 52 Years for Torture-Murders of Elderly Pillars of the Community
- Diana on 17-Year-Old California Teen Sentenced to 52 Years for Torture-Murders of Elderly Pillars of the Community