heartfelt early song by Bob Dylan — based on a poem by Lord Buckley
There was a man called Hezekiah Jones once
An’ he never had much except a farm an’ some land.
He ate what he raised. ‘T was in a cupboard
He kept there in the cupboard, what he called “for the rainy season”.
But this one he’d have somethin’ left over
He’d spend it an’ he’d buy books
An’ he’d read his books, kept there in the cupboard.
“Well he’s harmless enough i suppose
But well look at it,
He better put down them goddamn books
Readin’ ain’t no good for an ignorant n_____”.
Reverent Greene of the white men’s church came around that year
Knockin’ on doors, he knocked on Hezekiah’s door
He says, “Hezekiah you believe in the lord?”
Reverent says, “Hezekiah you believe in the church?’
Hezekiah says, “Well church is divided, ain’t they?
They can’t make up their minds, i can’t make up mine either.”
Reverent says, “Hezekiah you believe in that if a man is good, heaven is his last reward?”
Hezekiah says, “I’m good, i’m good, i’m as good as my neighbor.”
“You don’t believe in nothin”, says the white men’s preacher.
“Oh yes i do”, says Hezekiah
Not for the reward of heaven or the fear of hell’s fire.”
“But you don’t understand”, says the white men’s preacher
“There’s a lot of good ways for a man to be wicked”.
And they hung Hezekiah as high as a pigeon
White folks around said,
“Well he had it comin’, the son of a bitch never had no religion!”
SITES WE LIKE
Hard Case Crime
True Crime Report
3: AM Magazine
The Weekly Lizard
The Young Turks
The Glasgow Curse
John Nardizzi, Author
Thomas Davidson, Author
Mike Roche, Author
Darcia Helle, Author
Darcia Helle, Author's Blog
The Trouble with Justice
- Vibrant NYC Lady Hoopster and Gym Coach Charged with 30 Counts of Statutory Rape
- Murder By Marine: The Death of Jennifer Laude
- How Errol Flynn, Hollywood’s Bad Boy, Beat His Rape Charges!
- Do Not Stalk! California Stalker Gets Trapped in Chimney Prior to Fireman’s Rescue
- Haleigh Cummings Was Once Lost but Now She Is Found
- PatrickHMoore on Chicago Woman Buried Alive in Nefarious Funeral Parlor Murder Plot?
- Katt on Murder By Marine: The Death of Jennifer Laude
- Ann Marie Ackermann on Chicago Woman Buried Alive in Nefarious Funeral Parlor Murder Plot?
- Nadja on Loudmouth “Evil Gods” Worshipper, Pazuzu Illah Algarad, Caught with Skeletons in His Backyard
- PatrickHMoore on Watching Karla Homolka: Karla Just Did As She Pleased